BROOD's Adoption Process
About Adopting from BROOD
Considering adopting a BROOD dog? Please note that BROOD adopts dogs to qualified homes in VA, MD, DC, WV and parts of DE and PA, and other states at our discretion.
If you live outside these areas please check our Basset Links to find your local rescue organization.
Please note that we do not operate as a shelter and we do not house our dogs at any one location. Our dogs are in foster homes and boarding kennels in the states in which we operate. Charlottesville is our mailing address.
BROOD's Adoption Process
Thank you for your interest in adopting a basset hound from BROOD. The BROOD adoption process ensures the best possible placement for the basset. The basic steps are described below.
- Step 1: The application. Review all the information on this site and decide if basset adoption is right for you. If you feel a rescue basset is the dog for you, then complete and submit the online Adoption Application. You will have to pay a non-refundable $10 application fee to cover postage, handling and copying. This fee can be submitted online using Credit Card, PayPal or via a Check mailed to BROOD.
- Step 2: Veterinarian reference. If applicable, we will contact your veterinarian and ask him or her some questions to verify that you have had regular veterinary care performed on your current and past pets. A satisfactory reference indicates that your pets are current on rabies and distemper vaccines (within the last three years), yearly or biannual heartworm testing and monthly heartworm prevention.
- Step 3: House visit. As soon as we have all the requested information, we will arrange a house visit. One of our volunteers will contact you to arrange a convenient time for the visit. Your family must be present for this visit. The purpose of the house visit is to personally meet you and your family, verify the information in your application, review our policies, answer any of your questions and discuss what you are looking for in a basset.
- Step 4: Selecting your basset. Once your application is approved, you will be assigned a placement coordinator who will work with you to complete your adoption. Your placement coordinator will work colaboratively with you to find a basset hound that will be suitable for your family and lifestyle. You will be provided with details regarding the dog's personality, medical history, location, and any specialized adoption criteria. You will then be given a chance to speak to the foster home and to arrange a visit for possible adoption. There may be situations where there are several families considering a single dog. Your placement coordinator will let you know if that is the case and where you stand.
- Step 5: Signing the adoption contract and adopting your basset. Once you have selected your basset, you will be required to sign a contract and pay an adoption fee (based on the dog's age) to finalize the adoption process. Be sure you have read the Sample Adoption Contract (PDF file requires Adobe Reader) and understand its conditions before signing. If you are adopting a puppy from BROOD, you will instead use the Sample Puppy Adoption Contract (PDF file requires Adobe Reader). In addition, if you have children under the age of seven years old, you will be required to read and initial the Child Waiver Addendum to the contract (PDF file requires Adobe Reader) to indicate your understanding of the inherent risks of dogs with small children. No adoption fees will be refunded after seven calendar days.
Please understand we cannot reserve or hold any particular basset on our list until the adoption process is completed. For this reason, it is important that you complete the Adoption Application and return it to us promptly. BROOD makes every effort to process your application promptly, but because we are an all-volunteer organization, the adoption process does take time.
BROOD does not guarantee that all prospective adopters will be approved. We reserve the right to choose the adoptive families we feel are most suited to our bassets' needs at the time of application. We evaluate all applicants on a case by case basis. People who are not approved may wish to reapply at a later time when their circumstances change. Applicants who are not approved will have their application fees returned.
If you have any questions or concerns, please or call 866-710-9476 (toll free). We look forward to hearing from you.
Other Adoption Information
These articles describe many of the common issues that basset hound owners may encounter. They are a must read for anyone considering adopting from BROOD.
- New Adopter Information
- Heartworm and Your Dog (why it's important to maintain heartworm prevention for your dog)
- Adopting a Rescue Dog: The First Seven Days from Shelter to Home (a free book)